Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Do This At Home - Tip 3 "QTalk Echo Technique"



“QTalk Echo Technique”
Our “QTalk Echo Technique” was developed in our classrooms at Tribeca Language. It can be used by parents, teachers, co-workers, friends, or anyone who is teaching or practicing a new language. This amazing technique works to take students from zero comprehension to fully comprehending and speaking without experiencing any of the stress and intimidation so often associated with learning a new language.
QTalk Echo Technique: Are you thirsty?
Are you thirsty?
It is incredibly simple:
Step 1: Ask all questions with the target language first followed immediately by English as if they were one piece. (Both parents should use the technique - which means if you are the parent who does not speak the target language, you get to start learning along with your child.) Begin by learning how to ask the most basic questions, foods and objects that permeate your child's day to day routine:
   a. Are you hungry?
   b. Are you thirsty?
   c. Are you cold?
   d. Are you hot?
   e. Are you OK?
   f. Are you tired?
  g. What do you want?
QTalk word cue "to drink"
Yes, I want to drink juice.
Prepare your child for the fact you are going to start playing the "(Whichever Language) Game" A typical script goes like this: My child says "I want some juice." I respond, (in Spanish) "¿Tienes sed? Are you thirsty?" (All in one piece like it's one phrase.)

He/She says "yes". I say, "OK then tell me 'tengo sed Mommy'. That means I'm thirsty. Now you say it." Press lightly for the repetition of "tengo sed" but keep it fun. "No jugo til you say "tengo sed". (Jugo is juice - definitely need to learn that one.) Big praise once they say "tengo sed" or even just "sed".
QTalk word cue - orange juice
Do you want orange juice?
From here I would then ask ¿Quieres jugo? Do you want some juice?"  He/She says "yes". I say, "OK then tell me 'Quiero jugo'. That means I want juice. Now you say it." Again press lightly for the repetition of "quiero jugo" and praise any attempt - even if only part of the phrase comes out. If he/she just says "jugo" you enthusiastically cheer!

Next, we will progress to the "QTalk Gradual Immersion" technique. Keep letting me know if this is helpful! I really want you to succeed and ENJOY teaching your child a new language.

No comments:

Post a Comment